Monday, August 29, 2011

what i learned today...it's OK to play with your blog

Fears. Overwhelm. Yikes-what have i gotten myself into! It is incredibly scary to actually have traffic - i.e. visitors, like real live people - coming to my blog. Since its creation, my blog has been like my secret hideout - no one new about it but me and what I posted on it was for my eyes only.  No risk there, right?

Then I started an online class that challenged me to "go public" with my blog. So I did. And some of my online classmates visited my blog! (Thank you!) And some even left comments! (You are forever my angels!) What a rush! It felt so awesome to have real visitors and real comments. I reveled in the euphoric feelings of accomplishment. Ahhh.

Then, whammie!

fabricBeadsI committed myself to posting more often than a couple of times a year, sat down to create a new post and ...FROZE. What should I say?  What pearls of wisdom or gems of amusement will my 'followers' most love to read? For a person who always has something to say, I had nothing to say.  So I told myself that the 'look' of my blog was boring and needed to be refreshed. After all, taking care of the technical stuff was .... safe.  I could handle the judgement (self) there. So I tweaked this and bolded that and changed a few colors, created a background image.  I wasn't totally satisfied with the end result - my blog needs to be the perfect reflection of my artistic self, right?  But, I was still "involved" with my blog and thinking that the 'look' is a work in progress so it is OK to try out a few things.

However, I still faced a sense of frozen nothingness whenever my eyes roamed past the Create New Post tab. I slept on it, argued with myself about it and prayed about it.  Then, I woke up today hearing the whisper - "it's ok to play with your blog." I sat down, opened the editor and fiddled with the look and layout again.  Hmm.

I went to the online class topic for the day, it was about playing.  The whisper seemed to be more insistent, "It's OK to PLAY with your blog... ALL of it!" (divine intervention?)

....Oh, I get it!  Play with the posts!  Of course!

So I actually clicked the Create New Post tab and...whoa....here I go!

1 comment:

spaark said...

keep playing!! I change my blog look around weekly.I have links that dont even work!? spelling mistakes..you name it. I have come to discover that no one else really notices the small stuff...they just want to get to know the person behind the art. I like! your blog and look forward to reading more.