Saturday, August 20, 2011

waves of ideas

I am so grateful today for a day free of any obligations or responsibilities which made it possible to spend the whole long lazy morning in my studio with paint up to my elbows creating away!  Those hours will make the coming week feel much more balanced somehow.  

A year or so ago, I came to realize that the daily "fight" to find time to get into the studio and paint/stitch/glue was sucking an incredible amount of joy and energy out of my life.  My corporate day job often felt like a big hole of emptiness right smack in the middle of my creativity.  All day, everyday, in the back of my mind was the mantra "when I get ....... done, then I can get into the studio..." only there was always something else that just had to get done.  

One day, I woke up more than an hour before the alarm went off, wide awake, and the desire to get on up and get into the studio was so strong that I just did it.  And it changed everything!  That hour of creative immersion in the studio before I started my "day" energized me more than a pot of coffee. I was so infused with positive energy that day, that I did the same thing the next day, and then the next and the next.  

Several weeks after this new routine, I realized that I was no longer spending the day swimming upstream manipulating a 'current' of responsibilities trying to get into my studio. Starting my day in the studio, even if it is just for 20 or 30 minutes, takes the "fight" out of the day and has given me a tremendous sense of accomplishment and peace.  


No comments: